Saint-Gobain Quartz has been actively present in the aerospace and military market, with materials made from fused quartz, such as Quartzel® fiber for insulation and dielectric composites, amorphous silica powder for investment casting processes, and Micaver parts for lamps sockets.
Quartzel in Aerospace
Saint-Gobain Quartz is the worldwide leader of Quartzel fused quartz fiber, with more than 50 years of experience and innovation. A very high structural performance associated with high thermal resistance and low dielectric characteristics make Quartzel® the material of choice for leading edge parts.
Our products can be found in the following application :
- Military aircraft radomes (fighters, bombers, surveillance) including latest generation aircraft using active antennas
- Advanced missile radomes
- Electromagnetic windows (countermeasure, jamming devices...)
- Stealth materials (Missiles, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, Uninhabited Combat Aerial Vehicles, fighters, bombers, ships, submarine...)
- Civil aircraft radomes
- SATCOM radomes operating in Ku, Ka band or multi-band
- Aircraft engine environment such as fireproof cables, blankets for firewalls, thermal insulation, aircraft fuselage fire barriers
- Thermal Protection systems of space launchers
- Ablative atmospheric re-entry materials
- Missile Exhaust cones (thermal insulation or ablative), rocket motors
Powders in Aerospace
Our Amorphous Silica powders are used for the production of inserts for investment casting of metallic parts like turbine blades. The controlled purity, low thermal expansion gives to the inserts excellent thermal stability in the casting process.